Friday, April 08, 2005

MORE OF A CRINGE

Instead of a blush and cringe: My daughters decided to unfurl an entire roll of toilet paper and stuff it in the toilet. Not so bad. I could have dealt with that. They've put worse in the toilet. (Remind me to tell you the day my favorite candle went missing) So I am doing my typical "why did you guys do this, it makes no sense" rant and I hear the toilet flush and daughter number two going, "Uh oh! Mom! It's overflowing!" So now I'm launching into my "why did you flush it? I told you not to flush it!" rant, and trying desperately to get the childproof lock thingy off the cabinet door so I can get the plunger. "I flushed it because I had to poop and you always tell us to flush after we poop," she says. So now I'm watching the one foot in diameter, water-logged mountain of toilet paper slowly rising to the top of the toilet rim, looking like a billowing mass of whipped cream, only those little brown pebbles are NOT cherries on top. I ask the four year old to help me get the childproof lock open. She's succesful within seconds. I grab Mr. Plunger, skid across bathroom floor and realize the water stopped about a hair's length from the top of the toilet. Good news, right? Wrong. If I put Mr. Plunger in the water, it's going to overflow. Then I hear a gurgle, and another gurgle and realize that somehow, the water is s-l-o-w-l-y moving down. I wait an eternal five minutes, then lift the plunger, ready to insert, only to realize it's inside out. That's what I get for buying it at the dollar store. I don't know about you, but I'm not touching that thing with my bare hands to turn it back the way it's supposed to go. So I dash to the other bathroom, grab another plunger and race back down the long hall to bathroom number one where I am now hearing the unmistakeable sound of splashing. And laughter. "Dear God, please let that be the sink they're playing in," I pray and round the bend to find my older daughters (ages 3 and 4) cheering the one year old on as she has both hands in the toilet, squeezing a pebble with one tiny hand and swirling the mass of toilet paper around like a whirlpool with her other hand.

It could have been worse I guess. Usually everything she gets her hands on goes directly in her mouth. I know, gross, and yes, I scrubbed her hands with antibacterial soap for a half an hour.


VERSE
Search me, O God and know my heart...lead me in the way everlasting. Psalm 139:23-24

BORROWED PRAYERS
Help me to have an insatiable passion for your words. Let me devour them as if I knew I'd never get to read the Bible again. Help those in other countries to be able to have your Words without being caught and persecuted.

NEW WITH MY WRITING
I'm working on a new series, the special ops military ones. I'm two thirds of the way to finishing my first draft. I wrote a scene today that made me bawl my eyes out. My husband walks in, looks at me like I'm a loon, and walks past, shaking his head while I continue sniffing, blubbering, and tapping away at the keyboard. He's slightly worried about the fact that fictional people, whom I've created with my own mind, have the ability to send me into crybaby mode. So I either wrote an incredibly emotional scene today, or my pregnancy hormones are a bit out of control! LOL.

No comments: