Saturday, June 10, 2006

MOUSE! IN! THE!!!.....DUG OUT???

Went to my niece's softball game tonight and around the 5th inning, all the girls from her team ran shrieking out of the dug out, except a few brave ones who were pounding the earth with their aluminum bats. We figured out they ran out because there was a mouse in the dug out...And he wouldn't come out. Okay, well all the shrieking and flinging of bats probably petrified him, so I doubt he could move if he wanted to.

Anyway, a little while later, my sister (who had moved her chair farrrrrrr-farrrrr away from the dugout) had her attention entrenched in the game. Now you have to understand she and my mother are terrified of mice. In fact, growing up, guess who got nominated to clean out under the sink every time? Yep. Me. And I was proud of that job because I wasn't scared of lil' critters.

So back to the game, I snuck up behind my sister and tickled her on the back of the neck with a large weed thing...Don't ask me what it was...coulda' been poison IVY or a Japanese Maple branch, or heck, even a twig of marijuana for all I know. Anyway, I ran this fuzzy thing up the side of her neck and she started slapping herself like she was playing drums for a speed metal band.

In the process of laughing my head off, she spun as she figured out it wasn't a mouse but her prankster sis, she then turned the slapping brigade at me...so I stepped back out of reach of her smacking and didn't realize one of my children was crouched on the ground behind me.

From the momentum of moving backwards, the backs of my calves hit said child, and I flipped over her, and landed right on my rear in a very ungraceful manner. My dad and I think maybe Chad (Brother in law) or George (family visiting from out of town) came to my aid. I was still laughing so hard but the last laugh was on me.

BORROWED PRAYERS:
Thank you Lord for laughter.
Thank you Lord for a close-knit family.
Thank you Lord for a funny memory we will treasure for years to come.
Thank you Lord for the thick carpet of plush green grass which provided a very soft landing.
Thank you Lord for giving me a sense of humor, even if it does often come back to bite me.


WRITING UPDATE:
I'm working through the revisions. Got a new synopsis written several days ago, and am waiting to get the green light on it so I can finish the new version of the story. I'll keep ya posted!

CONGRATS to Aimee and Chris today. My babysitter got married, and it was THE most touching wedding I've been to. The groom couldn't look at her without tears streaming down his face. Really precious. And they serenaded one another musical theatre-style. She'd sing a verse to him, and he'd sing the next to her, then they'd harmonize. Really neet. People were sniffling all around.

Blessings, Squirrel

No comments: